The Hotel de Bethune-Sully is presented as one of the most beautiful private mansions (hotel particulier) of the city of Paris.
Located in the heart of the historic district of Le Marais, this monumental building style Louis XIII (Baroque) was built in the seventeenth century, commissioned by Mesme Gallet, who built this palace whose garden and orangery give access to the old place Royale (now Place des Vosges).
Finance Minister Henry IV, Maximilien de Bethune, Duke of Sully, acquired the property in 1634, and was in charge of making final arrangements and decorations of historic Parisian mansion. The descendants of the Duke of Sully continued to dwell in the palace until the eighteenth century, a time from when the manor passed to different owners.
During the second half of the nineteenth century, the mansion is classified as a historical monument and begins the conservation interest, happening only in 1944 became part of the French state, which made numerous restoration until 1973, with the reconstruction of their yard winter (Orangerie). Since 1967, the Hotel de Bethune-Sully, hosted the National Fund for Historical Monuments and Sites, and then converted to the currently at the Center for National Monuments, administrative body of the French State.
Filled with lights and ornaments, the city of Sissi, Mozart and Sachertorte is invaded by the scents and sounds of Christmas, especially in the many markets spread across the center, each more beautiful.
In Vienna, Christmas remains a fairy tale. No wonder here is the oldest Christmas market in Europe, the Wiener Christkindlmark, held since 1296. So it’s a matter of tradition and expertise, as reflected in the booths that display all its charm across from City Hall Vienna: candied fruits and gingerbread, lights climbing up the treetops and a children’s train that will delight the little ones.
The Royal Palace of Schonbrunn, must on any visit to the capital of Austria, exhibited during this time of year its impressive lighted Christmas tree, around which of course is another delicious installs specialized in crafts market, face another palace, that of Belvedere, there are more surprises to go quietly with a hot cup of Punsch (punch) or Gluhwein in hand.
More markets, all beautiful, all different in Maria-Theresien-Platz in Karlsplatz, in front of the Karlskirche monumental, market Volkstheater, surrounded by museums across Avenue Ring, the Hofburg in the distance, and of course the legendary Prater, the Danube. A feast for the senses and the heart.
The Saint Eustache Church (Saint-Eustache) is presented as one of the most visited of the French capital. This Parisian church known for its enormous size, the large number of works of art housed and being regarded as a masterpiece of late Gothic architecture.
This church was built on the initiative of King Francis I of France in 1532 and then restored in 1840, so it has several styles in its construction: Gothic and Renaissance abroad and classic interior.
Originally its construction was based on the great French Gothic cathedrals of the era, with additions of later Renaissance style. St. Eustatius is situated at the entrance of one of the oldest markets in Paris (Les Halles) and the beginning of the street Montorgueil.
Its construction had to overcome all kinds of economic problems which delayed the opening of the west facade and main several years, leaving unfinished deck height and steeples. The church of Saint-Eustache is also famous for its organ, the largest in France, and also by its star organist, every Sunday afternoon free concerts.
The July Column (Colonne Juillet) is a monument in the center of the Place la Bastille, in the fourth district of central Paris (France).
This monumental column was built to commemorate to commemorate the ‘Trois Glorieuses’, the “three glorious” days of July 1830 which resulted in the fall of Charles X of France and the beginning of the “July Monarchy” of Louis-Philippe I, Duke of Orleans, monarch who became king of the French.
The commemorative plaque at the monument states in his text: “For the glory of French citizens who were armed and fought for the defense of civil liberties in the memorable days of 27, 28, July 29, 1830.” At the foot column are the names victims who perished during revolutionary days of July 1830 and the height of it is is decorated with a sculpture of gilt bronze Auguste Dumont: representing the Genius of Liberty (Genie de la Liberte).
The column actually saved a cemetery, since it is built on a crypt that houses the remains of 504 victims who died during the revolution of July 1830. The crypt also received about 200 remains of victims of the 1848 Revolution.
One of the things I would dream ever find there is a giant pumpkin in the middle of the riverbed. This is actually a curious geological formation known as Pumpkin Spring.
It is not uncommon travertine formations, a variety of limestone, in the rivers of hot springs around the world. However, these anywhere else “travertine pools” have acquired a form and as capricious as here color. The waters of the inside of the pumpkin are warm but bathing in them is not too advisable as contain very high levels of arsenic, copper, zinc and lead. A drink can cost life and even take a unhealthy is the danger of the skin to absorb all these harmful elements bathroom.
Arsenic poisoning causes headaches, confusion, incessant diarrhea and drowsiness. If not treated quickly and properly can end up causing vomiting, blood in the urine, muscle cramps, hair loss, stomach pain and, in extreme cases, coma and even death.
This is not to scare anyone but is information that all tourists who rush to cross the river, either on foot or by canoe should know, because the temptation to take a dip in Pumpkin Spring is great, although it can get to be the most dangerous pumpkin soup you’ve ever tasted.
An important monument in central Paris, located in the center of the historic square of the same name I district (1st arrondissement) of the French capital. Intimately linked to the history of the Place Vendome, a space originally conceived by Louis XIV in the late seventeenth century, in which he had decided deploy an equestrian statue of the monarch.
Almost a century later (1792) Napoleon Bonaparte ordered to remove the statue of Louis-le-Grand and replace it with a monumental bronze column made with more than a thousand guns confiscated from the Russian and Austrian armies in the war front.
This monument was built to commemorate the victory of the French at the Battle of Austerlitz, the name by which he is also known to this monument.
The Vendôme Column has a height of 44 meters and a diameter of 3.60 meters, and at its peak account at the top with a statue of Napoleon dressed as a Roman general. The column was inspired by Trajan’s column in Rome and is decorated with reliefs depicting scenes classic war.
Where the garden was located on the terrace of the mansion hotel Bretonvilliers, a green space of triangular layout that is framed by the bridge Sully island crossing linking both banks of the river Seine in the heart of the city of Paris.
This plaza bordered to the south and northeast by the arms of the river Seine and the Boulevard Henri IV northwest side.
This Parisian square was created in 1938 and covers an area of nearly 3 thousand square meters. In 2007, this square was awarded as one of the ecological “green spaces” in Paris, an award granted by the international body Ecocert. This square is named after a famous French sculptor of animals, Antoine-Louis Barye (1795-1875) figures.
Originally this monument consisted of two bronze sculptures subsequently disappeared during German occupation of the 2nd World War. The first, “Theseus slaying the Centaur Bienor” melted again and reinstalled in the original place in 2011. The second named “The serpent lion” was reinstated in June 2014.
Hot deserts and towns filled with palms facing the sea. But if this is the rule, there is a wonderful exception Ifrane, in the heart of the Middle Atlas Mountains, snow station situated at an altitude of 5460 meters above the sea. The Swiss in Morocco.
Here the houses have red gabled roofs and wooden balconies adorned with flowers. The region is dominated by forests of cedars and firs, green lakes and the intense whiteness of the snow. It is logical that so different from the rest of the country rather than the winter recreation destination for wealthier residents of the cities of Fez, Meknes and Marrakech the place to experience what a European winter. And precisely its origin is very European.
The town of Ifrane was built by the French about 80 years ago during the time of the protectorate. In summer Ifrane is a nice and refreshing place, perfect to escape the heat; in winter, temperatures often drop below freezing and snow covers everything. In fact, the lowest temperature ever recorded in Africa was in Ifrane -24 ° C.
After independence, the Moroccans over the city became the expanded, built a mosque, a public market and other amenities, including some ski slopes and other facilities that we could find at many ski snow of the Pyrenees or Alpes, though much more modest, with a special exotic touch. In any case, a surprise for the European traveler visiting Morocco often loaded with prejudice and with a head full of topics.
In fact, its temple, its Moorish alleys, circuit medieval walls, all the mansions of the sixteenth century and features whitewashed houses are included in the list of World Heritage of UNESCO.
The so-called white town in southern Portugal has an old town that is easily explored in a day or two. Evora’s agricultural roots are retrieved every second Tuesday of the month, with a huge outdoor market held in the Rossio Square, south of the city walls. It’s just an appetizer of Feira de Sao Joao that takes place during the last ten days of June, an outstanding collection of crafts, food and music.
But the center of life in Evora is in the Praça do Giraldo, near the medieval Agua de Prata Aqueduct, full of shops, bars, terraces and strollers. All in one, very characteristic of the Alentejo region peaceful and unhurried atmosphere.
The great icon of Evora is the famous Roman Temple, which is situated in the heart of the old city. Built in the first century A.D. offers a stunning view of fourteen granite Corinthian columns, blackened over the years. Although it is popularly known as the Temple of Diana (Roman goddess of hunting), is believed to have been consecrated several Roman gods. In the small square that extends in front of the temple there is a viewpoint that allows us to verify that the white city is an island in the middle of a vast ocean of cultivated plains.
The Maison Berthillon is recognized by offering one of the best sorbets entire city of Paris, according Parisians and tourists themselves who have had the pleasure of tasting their delicacies frost.
Berthillon born sixty years ago as a family business throughout his long career has developed a tempting range of ice creams, dazzling for its vivid colors, lush textures and of course for its delicious flavors. For over half a century Berthillon maintains its place in the center of Paris, in the tourist area of Saint-Louis Island.
The reputation of Berthillon ice cream has spread beyond the City of Light, as tourists from around the world flock to this area of Paris to try their specialties frost, made exclusively from natural ingredients without any preservatives chemicals according proudly announce their owners.
Considered one of the finest ice cream manufacturers in the world, Berthillon is practically a monument to the palate in Paris, as the sweet tooth tourists.